People often underestimate the importance of a well-maintained and properly functional garage door. As a responsible homeowner, you need to service and maintain your garage door periodically just like to service your vehicle to prolong its lifespan and increase its functionality.
In this article, I will explain some facts about garage door maintenance services and things that you should stress. If you don’t know how to perform garage door services, consult professional Garage Door San Antonio Texas experts to help you in this regard.
Garage door repair and maintenance services:
Before performing garage door service, it is wise to understand how a garage door operates and functions. Overhead automatic garage doors either roll up in multiple sections or swing up in a single solid panel. There is a garage door spring system that is located at the center point of a garage door. Any garage door runs on the metal tracks which are installed along the walls of the garage. Mostly garage door service involves rectifying or realigning the tracks and replacing the springs.
- Inspect the metal tracks of a garage door. Have a look at the moving parts including the mounting brackets of a garage door. During garage door service, you might need to tighten the loose screws and bolts that secure the brackets to the walls. Garage door tracks need to be examined thoroughly to find out any occurrence of crimps, dents, or flat spots. In case of any fault, it can be straightened using a rubber mallet. If you feel that garage door tracks are beyond fining replace them immediately.
- In the second round of garage door maintenance, you should inspect the garage door tracks to make sure that they are aligned properly. Basically, the horizontal tracks should be slant slightly down position. The position of the tilt should be pointed to the back of the garage. On the roll-up garage door models, the vertical parts of the tracks should be perpendicular. If you experience that garage door tracks are not aligned correctly, just loosen the hardware that holds the mounting brackets. Then tap the tracks smoothly in order to reposition them.
- In the next stage of garage door service, you need to clean the hardware of the garage door including the tracks using a mild concentrated household cleaner to remove the accumulated grease and dirt. Garage door rollers need to be cleaned or replaced accordingly. After washing the garage door, wipe the garage door rollers and tracks to make them dry.
- Next, you need to lubricate all the moving components and hardware of the garage door including the rollers and tracks. You may use any good lubricant, powdered graphite, or silicone spray for this purpose.
- In the next point, your garage door service involves cleaning and lubricating the hardware. If you find loose hardware on your garage door, you should tighten or replace them. On the swing-up garage door model, check the hinges and brackets of springs and tighten them, if needed.
- The last step of garage door service relates to the adjustment or replacement of garage door springs. You might need to shift the hook of the spring to the next notch or hole in order to adjust the tension. In the case of broken springs, replace them with the help of professional garage door experts.